Sunday, February 12, 2023

The best way to die?

I’ve a friend who always says that the best way to die is to do it why we are in full health, and I agree with him with this caveat: “As late as possible, without suffering and ideally doing something we enjoy doing”. 

This is exactly what happened to someone I know, who was my age, and went skiing on Wednesday in my Alpine home valley of Morzine, France, in the company of his 9 year old grand son. He was struck by a massive heart attack and died on the spot.

While this must have been traumatic for the little boy and the entire family, the death happened fast, unexpectedly (he apparently had no clue he had a potentially lethal health problem), doing something he truly enjoyed and without much suffering. 

In theory, dying on skis might be ideal for a skier, as long as the cause of death is natural and not accidental, but I don’t know if I’m quite ready for such an abrupt and cold exit.

No comments: