Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Isn’t YouTube a good tool?

Last weekend, I repaired the gas pilot light on my living room fireplace. 

Three days before, it had stopped working and I didn’t feel like taking the glass door and putting it back in (a real practical challenge!), so I called the company that had installed it 9 years ago to come and fix it. 

The girl I spoke to told me two startling things: First a tech couldn’t come before March 31 and it was cost me $215 for the visit, not including any part needed or overtime. This in itself was a sobering thought. Not only the service would be delayed, but to add insult to injury, likely to cost me an arm and a leg. 

So, after a brief pause I took my usual education trip into YouTube, found several possible solutions for solving the problem and decided not to go skiing Saturday and resolve the problem myself. I did what I thought I should do and it worked. 

Putting back the glass door was entirely another awful story that took me more than an hour, but I finally succeed and saved myself plenty of waiting time and good money. 

Thanks YouTube! 

No comments: