Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Have humans “lost it”?

It’s a climber named NirmalPurja who posted this photo on Facebook on May 23. Like the rest of us, I saw it all over the places.
While I agree that weather is fickle in that particular part of the world and that climbing “windows” are few and far between, I see more than a thick line of climbers ready to ascend the Hillary Step and then the top of Mt. Everest. I see human stupidity in partaking into both a dangerous and miserable experience.

No question that this foolish exercise is the result of bucket lists that must be fulfilled no matter what, of fabulous postings on Facebook, Instagram and the like, and finally money. Obscene amounts of it. Yes, the ride is a costly one.

I’m told that climbing that particular mountain can cost between $35,000 and $75,000 per person, depending on how much comfort is expected, how many oxygen bottles are desired and how strong the logistical support - mostly made of sherpas – is needed.

I admit that I have no desire to join this crowded bottleneck, but I’m also saddened by hordes of tourists trampling that mountain as if they “had to” do it before they die. Makes me sad about humanity...

No comments: