Monday, February 23, 2009

Are we in heaven (yet)?

If you believe in after-life and in celestial heaven, this article is not for you. I just wrote it for those of us who are not sure these good places even exist or for those like me who are convinced that heaven is right here and now. This of course brings me to the crux of the matter; how can we tell that we’ve made it to heaven – or not? Let’s conduct an experiment by starting first to ask small kids - let’s say up to the age of ten how is their life, assuming they receive enough love, attention, food and protection. If we pay some attention to what they have to say, they might indicate that, for the most part, their live is just like heaven on earth. After that age, things start going downhill and pointing towards hell. Where is the bottom of that pit? This is quite hard to pinpoint as it will vary with individuals, but let’s say that between that point in time and until someone is free from work, there’s a lot of hell going on in someone’s life. What fuels that hellish reality? Fear about everything, stress, needs, pressures of all kinds, learning life on the job, accidents, illnesses, bad luck and many more struggles. Am I really suggesting that everyone makes that trip to hell? I think that for the most part the answer is “yes.” Unless an individual finds the perfect vocation and can draw a lifetime of bliss from it, no one is immune to these regular beatings that life dispenses so liberally. I’m not saying that there are no specks of enlightenment now and then, but the most part people’s skies remain grey and threatening. This said, I’m of the opinion that heaven would begin to occur when someone is freed from all these fears and worries, and this time generally coincide with retirement from most forms of professional life. How do I know that I’ve made it to heaven? Because I’ve never felt so stress-free, I can do everything I want, I have fun doing the things I love and for the most part, I still feel good physically. There is less negativity into my life and I feel at peace with myself. The only element that is in short supply is time, but that forces me to prioritize. If all this is not heaven, then tell me what the real think looks and feels like!

No comments: