Monday, March 8, 2010

Makes you believe in resurrection...

Last Tuesday, I went skiing with Brad Olch, Park City's former mayor. It was fun, Brad skis as fast as Bode Miller and we covered a huge territory during the few hours we cruised together. At some point, we stopped for coffee at the Deer Valley Lodge, in Silver Lake and fund a bunch of Brad Olch's friends, stopped for a coffee break and sharing the latest news and gossip. One of them announced that a 60 or so year old whom most of us present knew well, had sustained a massive heart attack as he was ready to board one the resort's chairlift and after being administered first aid, passed away on the spot lying on the snow.

This of course shocked the Bejesus out of all of us; I told my wife about it, she noticed some unusual activity by the man's house, some 300 yards from where we live, but between the local newspapers and the internet we couldn't see any notice relating the tragic death. We started to wonder. A few days later as I was visiting a friend who just broke her femur while “encountering” an aspen tree, I told my “heart attack” story to make her realize (and her husband as well as me and my wife) that bad breaks weren't created equal. Last night, I received a call from that friend's husband who told me he just heard from a (more) credible source that the man who fell close to the chairlift was convalescing in the Salt Lake hospital, where he had been airlifted last Monday, and was expecting to make it. While I celebrate this fellow's "resurrection," this goes to show that we always should verify facts twice and reminds us about the fragility of our own credibility!

No comments: