Friday, March 19, 2010

Our remaining time

The more I think about it, the more I realize that while our remaining time becomes more and more valuable, it behooves us to manage it better than ever and think twice before engaging into activities or behavior that devour that ever diminishing resource. Take skiing for instance, I've always been a quantity guy, perhaps because I look at skiing as a way to push myself and stay fit. Yet, as a way to physically train it's woefully inefficient. Running is a much effective way of rapidly achieving fitness. So what should I do with my skiing? Perhaps do less of it and focus more on making that practice even more perfect and enjoyable, which is already what believe I do, darn it!

That's tough; I was recently figuring, that over a ski season, I spend 300 hours on the slopes. Skiing is just one thing though; what about the huge amount of time I spend searching or wandering on the internet (is that study and personal development)? I can't even begin to put a time figure on that... What better alternative use could I make of this block of time? Learn a language, go back to school, volunteer my time for a variety of good causes? How better would I feel (I think this is still important)? Would the world be an even so slightly better place if I did (that would be the selfless part of the equation)? I guess those are the questions that I have to seriously begin asking myself while I have some time left...

1 comment:

William Bocq said...

The crux of it is "would I feel better." Some people would feel better making the world a better place mainly because they would like to be remembered as doing so (except a couple of saints). This is egotistic.
Let's be selfish and enjoy the remaining time, let's do what feels good, it makes us more congenial, better friends, spouses and neighbors. Let's walk around with a smile on our face - the streets need that - and call it our contribution to make a better world. For the rest, I already paid. As Chip would say, this is my two cents (in my case, cent and a half).