Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The tired ski instructor

I have decided that being a ski instructor is work; in fact, it can be a lot of work! While I quit instructing in 1974 and continued, sporadically through the early part of 1977, I remember some seasons when I taught 120 days straight and during peak periods, 8 hours a day! Things have changed a lot of course, but in these four past years, I've skied a lot more, most of the time alone, but on many occasions with my better half, serving as her full time private guide, and trying to show my best form in technique, choice of terrain and speed.

She has, in the process, made some amazing progress and has now become an “all-mountain skier.” What I've discovered in the process is that when I apply myself to guiding her through challenging terrain, I need to do things “by the book” and there's not much room for cheating or for getting away with last minutes tricks, sudden changes or salvaging foot work. I need to pace myself, make sure my student is right behind me and plan each move thoughtfully.

The end result is that my legs remain tense, my speed is not as high as it could, more energy is required to produce turns and the whole act of paying close attention burns cerebral energy as well. Now I can share the pain of those skiers who are not “flying” down the mountain and who feel exhausted at the end of full day on the slope. I can also understand why the vast majority of my former colleagues in France, now well into their sixties, welcome the mandatory retirement for full-time instructing at age 61!

No comments: