Friday, October 15, 2010

Selecting someone? Try attitude.

It's been quite a long time since I interviewed someone for a job opening. I've done it many times, and always was far too focused on an applicant's technical skills, experience and education instead of paying very close attention to that person's attitude. Had I known that people with great attitude are generally flexible and open enough to learn and do anything, this might have had huge implications on my professional career and my personal success, but for too long, I ignored that all-important human dimension.

In fact, this is something very hard to spot and evaluate. Until recently, no one even acknowledged it, but with insight I've learned that a golden attitude is by far the most important criterion someone can bring to a position.
The reverse, hiring someone with a stinky personality can wreck havoc on any good organization and systems. And this observation isn't just true for the working work. It's also true in the choice of your sport partners and playmates, your friends and of course, your significant other.

No comments: