Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Driving by Squaw Valley

Whenever I drive by Lake Tahoe, I love to catch a glance at the lake and when possible, I also relish to drive by the entrance gate to Squaw Valley and glance at the Olympic legacy monument that seems to have evolved over the years. For someone like me, that place brings back memories of one of my countryman, Jean Vuarnet, who won a gold medal in downhill back in 1960.

My thoughts then cascade from there and evoke his triumphal coming home welcome in March of that same year, on the Morzine town plaza, the white Renault “Floride” convertible presented by the town to its champion and so much more, like Jean Vuarnet jumping at the Avanieres all the way to his visits with Edith at Les Lindarets, where he always coveted the beautiful Lavanchy's chalet...
Memory has always a devious way of taking the most disciplined thinkers off any given subject...

No comments: