Thursday, April 26, 2012

The business side of Facebook

Social media like Facebook are great for keeping in touch with friends. I'm not so sure they already are used as a viable avenue to business and sales promotion. I assume you know what I mean, “liking” brand ABC instead of just becoming Jana Smith's “friend”.

So, I'm “liking” a few commercial entities, such as – to cite one in particular – Deer Valley Resort. Since I do some work for them, I like to be stay current with what's going on with that mountain resort. Of course, that's not the only one, I have other ski resorts, athletes, automobiles rock-bands, periodicals, TV stations and products consumer products like my GoPro video camera.

Yet, when it comes promoting these various products and services, I seldom receive any interesting offers and that's where I think commercial entities are missing the mark. I know they're there, but their message is never compelling enough to make me pay attention and of course buy from them.


Communicating very creatively, keeping people interested and eager to take action (like purchase something) should be the key goal of all these commercial sites that tap into their “social networks” to drum up more business. I don't have a step-by-step procedure to optimize that tool, but most companies should definitely devise something in order to transmute their efforts into sales...

No comments: