Saturday, April 7, 2012

The problem with “First Tracks...”

I'm not a special fan of “First Tracks” for a number of very good reasons. First, doing them often require to wait for a lift to open up. Just in the midst of a snow storm or immediately after, the lift maybe on “wind-hold” or shut down while the ski patrol is still busy blasting off avalanche prone areas; there's therefore too much “hurry-up and wait” for my personal tolerance.

Another very good reason is that not all slopes or special runs are steep enough all the way to carry skiers on their own speed in flatter sections and that makes for the need of cutting a trail for other users. It's not that I don't want to share, but it's a lot of work and time spent plowing through deep “pow” at snail pace.

Finally, “First Tracks” skiing comes with uniformity in sensations and I do prefer evolving in already cut-out tracks with the accelerations and slow-downs that are built into them; I find this excellent for sharpening my balance skills and creating a never-ending stream of excitation. All sound motives for not seeing me making “First Tracks!”

No comments: