Monday, April 10, 2017

Fifty years ago: My bro and I

During the winter 1966-1967 I was teaching skiing to kids coming from Paris for one month at a time, and was working with my brother who had been instructing for one or two seasons.

I had no certification whatsoever at the time and was teaching the little ones how to ski down the hill, snowplow, turn and side-slip. If I did my job well, they might earn their “1ère étoile” or “2ème étoile” pin.

In those days, while still a teenager, I wasn't looking forward to begin serving 16 month in the French army the following November and didn't know what I would do with the rest of my life.

Already, my big secret dream was to teach skiing in America, most particularly in Aspen or in Whistler. I remember having applied for a job to Jim McConkey, ski school director at the British Columbia resort and he had even offered me position! I already had good tastes...

No comments: