Tuesday, July 18, 2017

How to lose a 40-year customer?

Insurance companies, like a lot of establishments that rely on repeat business, should think twice before become overly greedy.

I had been a client of State Farm Insurance for forty years when my agent decided to make more money off of me, trying to sell me a service that was borderline ethical, that would have made him lots of money, and lied to me in the process.

This is often the situation companies get themselves into when they're intent on “milking” their current customers. Simple, horrible greed.

What also tipped my decision is that State Farm is a member and on the Board of Director of ALEC, an right-wing organization that spearheaded union-busting laws in Wisconsin and Ohio, voter-suppression laws in Maine and New Hampshire, and Florida's "Shoot First" laws.

Finally, I even saved a non-negligible amount of money in switching. Morale of the story: If you want to keep your long-time clients, don't oversell them and stay away from joining controversial organizations!

No comments: