Thursday, April 23, 2020

Remember the Great Depression ?

We talk a lot about some impending depression these days. Unless you are at least 95 years old, you won’t remember much from the Great Depression that began in 1929.

I don’t either, but I remember a lifestyle that wasn’t so distant from that epochal event.

When I was growing up in the Alps and was about 3-4 years of age (yeah, that me named Go11, in red, on that picture), during 4 months out of the year, we had dirt floor in the kitchen, no electricity, no running water and the whole family (5 of us) slept in the same room in beds made of hay. The only positive thing is that we never went hungry and always had plenty to eat thanks to our parents’ hard work.

Yet, still today, I never forgot where I came from and would be ready for some stringent sacrifices if I had to...

No comments: