Wednesday, January 27, 2021

A problem with lightweight skis

I had decided to take my light, rock skis that day, and when I placed them on my car rack, I noticed that the tip of the toe binding platform was raised and a further observation showed me that the screws were pulled out. 

That had already happened on the other ski and I had resolved the problem with “Helicoids”, special brass insert that could be forced into the enlarged binding hole. I removed the defective pair and took my “good” skis instead.

When I went to repair the damaged binding platform, I noticed that the previous Helicoid repair was also pulling out. 

So I went on to repair both skis. I then realized that the flimsy, plastic plates, holding the toe and heel units inside their rails were held by what looked more like machined screws than wood ones and the grip of their shallow threads inside the hole wasn’t positive enough to prevent an eventual pull out, especially as, for unknown reasons, the tread was all corroded in these front screws. 

This is further a problem as these lightweight skis have no binding insert, either in metal of phenol, to grab into the screws. I added two old-style binding screws in the front of the plate and I was done. 

Hopefully, this will last the remainder of the life of these rock skis that have already more than 220 days of use!

No comments: