Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Unknown visitor referred by a “friend”

During the past Christmas Holidays, I got an email from some unknown Frenchman. He inferred he wanted to get together with me and – I assume – ski; yeah, you guessed it, free instruction! 

In it, he said: “I just arrived in Park City with my family for a ski week. I just sent a text to Bruno who told me you lived here. That would be fun to get together. We’re here through December 28.” 

I responded that in case he ignored it that we were in the midst of a pandemic and since I’m well over 70, getting together wouldn’t be such a good idea. I then, sent an email to Bruno asking him if that guy was legit, but I have yet to get a response from that former colleague (ski instructor) of mine. 

All this to say that this is a recurrent situation, in which some folks are thoughtless enough to give one’s address to a perfect stranger, without asking for authorization, or at the very least warning you that one’s will be contacted by that person. Rude, careless and good recipe for embarrassing everyone.

No comments: