Monday, January 25, 2021

Fifty-something losing their job…

I was around 50 also when losing my job happened to me. A pretty harsh blow at a critical age. 

Recently, a former neighbor of mine just fell in that predicament, and after talking to him to understand what his situation and options really were, I tried to discuss with him what his next steps could be. 

That’s when I came up with this guide that might help him as he further moves along in his quest for re-invention, if it were. First, what’s crucially important is to take stock of one professional and personal assets and list them so they’re always present and in stay in prominent view. 

The next one is to work on a new résumé (more than a simple update) that will sell and tell the potential of that person rather than focusing on the mere story of their career. It must also be told from the reader (the employer) standpoint and address their needs and wants. 

These two first steps can be melded into a strong LinkedIn page and should be started immediately in the process, as they are the first priority. The next one is to ideally re-activate, activate or create a network of references that will help the job-seeker with opportunities that can come to that network’s attention. That’s of course is another key priority. 

Following that, the individuals must ask themselves a very important question; “What’s my passion?”, that is, if money, family considerations, location were no object. The answer to that question must be extremely sincere and if necessary be kept within the sole individual’s intimate knowledge. 

That will help explore a number of options: 

  • Should I keep looking for employment in my industry, a similar one that can easily bridge my know-how, or something radically different? 
  • Do I have the audacity to do it, what will happen if my attempt fails? 
  • What’s my window of time? 
  • How many year do I have to work before retirement or choosing to take time for myself in my later years? 

Then come some other major interrogations. Do I want to keep a salaried position, be an independent contractor in my trade or start my own business and be ready to pay the price for it? 

Eventually, these questions will get resolved as time go by, as search results for a job can serve as indicators, and as individuals will learn and evolve in their definition of what’s their best next step…

No comments: