Saturday, January 16, 2021

Skiing’s toll on time

There's no question that I love skiing, but I keep on thinking that this sport simply takes too much of my precious time. Of course, I feel that way because quality skiing hasn’t been yet on the agenda this winter, and I’ve become a reluctant skier because of this.

Even though I live in a ski town, it takes me a substantial amount of time from the moment I get decide to go skiing and get off the first lift to slide on my boards. 

Just follow me; this include no waiting in lift lines, no incident of any kind and apply to just myself; skiing with other folks cuts into the net skiing time: 

  • Getting dressed, loading equipment in car: 10 minutes 
  • Driving to the resort and finding a parking spot: 10 minutes 
  • Putting on the boots, unloading the equipment: 5 minutes 
  • Walking over to the lift and riding it: 10 minutes 
  • Doing the same on the way back home: 25 minutes 

So you have it, it takes me one solid hour for the whole outing, if all goes per plan, for a 2-3 hours worth of actual skiing. So that’s typically one-third to one-quarter of my time out. 

Sure if I skied the whole day, it would be less as a percentage of the total time out, but still would be considerable. One thing is certain, skiing is more complicated that staying home and watching… golf on TV!

No comments: