Saturday, April 24, 2021

Going electric to cut my grass

According to what I’ve read, gas-powered mowers, even with their basic, 4-cycle engines put out a lot of pollution! Specifically, running a gas-powered lawnmower for one hour produces the equivalent air pollution of driving an average american car almost 200 miles. 

This pollution impacts public health, hurting our lungs and cardiovascular systems, not to mention, of course, all the CO2 released into the atmosphere. I only mention 4-cycle garden tools, the 2-cycle engines are much worse! 

The EPA also estimates that lawn mowers alone, account for 5% of the nation’s total air pollution! This is one good reason for me to consider switching to an electric mower and do my part to keeping our planet a bit cleaner. 

I’ve already switched my 2-cycle edge-trimmer to electric a few years ago and it works just fine. Now, I will need to get rid of my old Honda mower. 

Should I give it to a charity or put it out of service altogether? The latter might make much more sense…

No comments: