Monday, April 12, 2021

My first voyage ‘round the world, part 1

This is the beginning of a series marking the 50th anniversary of my trip to Australia to teach skiing and subsequently circumvent the world for the first time. 

Towards the end of my five-week instructor training in Chamonix, I must have heard somewhere that, Alexis Saudan, a member of the ENSA faculty was looking for ski instructors to accompany him in June or July to Mt. Buller, an Australian ski resort, located in the State of Victoria. I can’t remember how I learned about that opportunity or if I was contacted for it, but I became instantly interested. 

Gérard, one of my future teammate on that trip, himself a recent member of the ENSA faculty was asked by Saudan to join his team. Said Gérard: “Since I didn't speak a word of English, I was a bit surprised that he’d ask me to join him, but Alexis had reassured me that, if I learned the basics, I’d pick up enough once there to be just fine, keeping in mind that one of the objectives for me was to coach the Victoria Ski Association team.” 

Marcel, another ski instructor who also happened to attend the same training as me, told me that during this session, Alexis was actively looking for instructors to teach in Australia: “I volunteered for the job! A few talks with Alexis, and soon after he confirmed I was in…” 

As for me, I still wonder how I heard about that opportunity and how I applies. I simply remember that Edmond Denis, Avoriaz ski school director told me: “You’re not ready yet to teach abroad!” but I simply dismissed what I took to be a mean and out-of-place remark…

No comments: