Thursday, April 22, 2021

Today is Earth Day, so what?

First of all, if someone asked me do you feel more American or French? After 44 years away from my home country, I’d respond “Neither! My homeland is planet Earth. I’m an earthling before belonging to any other country“. 

True, I feel like I am a citizen of the world and today is the only national celebration I recognize and celebrate with all my heart during the course of the year. This said, how do I celebrate this Earth Day? By taking stock of what I’ve done and all the stuff that I have yet to do, in order to do justice to my blue planet. 

First, I try to keep my carbon footprint as small as possible, avoid polluting when I can and when I remember, I drive parsimoniously, I have placed solar panels on my roof and in one year, from April 2020 through March 2021 they’ve produced 4,353 Kw h vs. just 2,000 spent! 

I’m planning to replace my old car and my lawn-mower with electric ones and have more work to do in terms of heating our home. Like most of my neighbors, we use natural gas, because it’s cheap and convenient. I know, when I build my home several years ago I should have gone with geothermal heating but since there is virtually no demand for it where I live, I didn’t have the guts to make the jump! 

Covid-19 has reduced our travel and kept us off the air and we have no specific plans yet about future voyages, except that we can see that there might be less air travel into our future. Of course, I continue to believe that humanity has to do something drastic about overpopulation and I’ll continue to work towards that goal and bring whatever contribution I can to help. 

So, as you can see, we still have a long way to go to honor our wonderful planet the way it deserves it.

No comments: