Friday, April 30, 2021

Would you have a beer with your president?

A good way to evaluate how we relate to someone is to ask the question: “Would I enjoy having a drink or a dinner with so and so?” 

This brings some sort of affinity or social liking into the question and excludes folks that are repulsive, asocial, just aloof or intimidating. 

For instance, among the US Presidents I’ve personally experienced, I think I could have a beer with Biden and enjoy the experience. As for other American presidents, the next I could think of would be George W. Bush, except that I consider him a war criminal and a dimwit.

Barack Obama would come in third even though, maybe because of my age, his sleek speeches, his technocratic style and his being not quite down to earth, I don’t think we could really relate much. 

Ronald Reagan might be a distant fourth and then Bill Clinton would follow (I’ve never liked the guy), George H.W. Bush (the father) might follow and Jimmy Carter would close the line up. 

Then, what about Trump? Never mind, I totally miss that guy; I guess he’s absolutely forgettable, besides he doesn’t drink! 

And you, what would, in that same context, your ranked list with your different heads of state?

No comments: