Thursday, December 9, 2021

Death of a ski guru

I’ve never met Ron LeMaster, but have read many of his ski technique articles on ski magazines and even picked up on the many book he wrote on the subject. 

On November 30, the ski coach, instructor, guidebook author and ski racing photographer from Boulder, was killed Tuesday in a collision with a snowboarder at nearby Eldora Mountain Resort on Windmill an intermediate run. His death sent chills to my spine. 

Ron was 72, very close to me in age, was renowned for his work in ski education. He wrote many guidebooks, including “The Skier’s Edge” and “Ultimate Skiing.” 

He was also gifted photographer, picking up the famous “photo-montages” invented by Georges Joubert and keeping them alive in making his points about ski technique. 

While I feel very sorry about his tragic death and send my heartfelt condolences to Ron’s family, I take as a lesson that skiing is dangerous, collisions can be terrible, concentration is key and speed must be used with the greatest caution possible.

No comments: