Sunday, December 12, 2021

Happy aging!

From time to time my wife and I are talking about how distressful aging can be and how our slow but steady decline creeps in, without any good solution against it. 

I believe this kind of thinking is nefarious and can only lead to both an accelerated and unpleasant aging process, so I have decided to fight back and inventory what ammunition are available to turn this kind of thinking and attitude around. 

Well, I now that aging is part of life, is inexorable and unavoidable. I simply would like to make it fun and, hopefully, enjoy more of my old days, plus last a little bit longer while I live much better. Anywhere you turn, there’s plenty of advice about what to eat, drink and what kind of exercise can fight aging, but none of these tips are any guarantee for happier old days.

What I’m looking at is more psychological in nature, affect our mental state and define our general attitude towards life as well as our emotions. This are listed in no particular order, but are, in my opinion, the foundation of happiness as we age: 

  • Make quality time for meditation 
  • Don’t take anything personally, give idiots a break and don’t let the stupidity of others make yourself angry. 
  • Always make an effort to see humor in everything, be self-deprecating and laugh as much as possible. 
  • Also make a concerted effort to remain optimist, hopeful and positive. 
  • Built that into a lifelong habit. Keep a thirst for adventure, remain curious all the time, get out of the house and one's comfort zone, finally renounce mediocrity. 
  • Turn every adversity into new challenges, always challenge others and remain competitive. 
  • Stop thinking incessantly about one's age, the mind is the same as the day maturity was attained (that number may vary wildly!)

No comments: