Tuesday, December 7, 2021

If I were the new Deer Valley director (continued…)

This always is a fun and creative kind of exercise. What would I do if I were the next Deer Valley general manager? 

I could do anything I want, yet, I would basically confronted with two fundamental choices: Do almost nothing and act as another caretaker for the resort, riding its fabulous reputation and image while the planet warms up fast, the snow dwindles and skiing disappears. 

If it’s not to the taste of Alterra and its shareholders I’d blame global warming and the baby boomers like me that will be accused of creating the whole mess. A safe, easy and simple choice, but definitely not my favorite. 

Then, on the other hand, I could improve things as I see and picture them to make Deer Valley last longer and provide a much better experience to its future visitors. Isn’t it what visionary management is all about? 

I’d finally get on with modern times and bring a bit of snowboard by opening certain areas of the mountain to riding, and that way, keep “diverse” families happy. In the same spirit, I’d also open up Terrain Parks in a natural, wonderful tree setting, that would make the place unique in its category. 

I’ll totally rethink the Snow Park parking development project to make the entire access of the resort more user friendly, easy and surprisingly seamless by installing fast people movers directly to the lifts and channeling skiers back to their transportation. 

I would also think long and very hard on how to integrate (or not) the Extell's Mayflower Mountain Resort into the Deer Valley experience (by the way, what a folly to envision a new ski resort in the midst of global warming!). 

I would also take a zero-base approach and re-invent the resort’s food experience and bring it into the 21st century. While I’m at it, I would also focus on rejuvenate Deer Valley’s overall culture, get rid of the Cadillacs, and make it “young and fresh again”. 

More importantly, I’d bring unbridled fun to replace the “stiff upper lip” class that is slowly choking Deer Valley, and finally, I would drastically “filter” the Ikon passholders access, wouldn’t care at all about what Alterra thinks and do everything for the good of Deer Valley, and then, just like God at the end of my new re-creation, would enjoy an ice-cold IPA...

No comments: