Saturday, December 25, 2021

Twenty-five years ago

December 1996 was a time when I was desperately looking for a job and after a whole year looking, I was holding on two solid options following a pair of successful interviews (as always, getting my foot in the door for an interview was always the hardest part). 

One job was about selling high-quality wood windows to architects, contractors and homeowners and the other was a marketing manager position at a local property management company. 

I took the later, because I didn’t have to commute to Salt Lake and be forced on the road the whole time selling building supplies, and I also knew the company’s owner a colorful, local guy. 

The guy who decided though wasn’t that man but his general manager, Mike Philips, a nice fellow who had spent most of his career in the hospitality business. The pay wasn’t great and I didn’t know much about the job or the industry, but decided to take a swing at it.

It ended being a good choice that helped me pay for our children’s college education, open my eyes to a business area I didn’t know, let me discover Colorado and meet some interesting people. 

A great move for rounding off and ending my working career!

No comments: