Tuesday, December 28, 2021

Letting the faster skier go

This past weekend, my daughter and I were skiing on the steeper part of the 9990 lift (following the towers, i.e. the fall line) and we were passed by one very good skier, followed, as well as he could, by a visibly struggling companion. 

This was the first time I had this experience. I didn’t feel too bad and rationalized it as follows: 

  • There was only one challenging lift open in all of Park City Mountain at that moment, and it was 9990, so it wasn’t surprising that the few good skiers skiing that resort this very day would congregate there. 
  • Next, my daughter thought the men were in their 20 or 30, which explain their bloated stamina and heightened risk tolerance. 
  • Also, I was skiing with my child, so I wasn’t pressing the pedal to the metal as I didn’t want to get her into a ski accident. 
  • Finally, I’ll turn 74 in a few days and I now better than hurting myself for the sake of staying ahead of some reckless skier!

No comments: