Friday, September 2, 2022

Disruption? An opportunity to learn!

It’s already past diner time, I prepare some lamb and a couple of corn on the cob, bring everything on the deck by my gas barbeque, attempt to light up the machine and nothing starts. Still, there’s plenty of propane in the bottle and when I reach out to see what’s going with my gas connections everything looks okay. 

Yet, after half a dozen unsuccessful attempts, I give up and my wife has to cook everything in her kitchen, I’m frustrated, so what’s next? While diner is getting ready, I go on YouTube, find a trouble-shooting video about that particular barbecue brand, and, as I chill out, I realize that a small incident is giving me an opportunity to learn something new and big by (hopefully) fixing my grill. 

Yesterday, I followed the procedure for cleaning the burners and I had a working grill! In the future, I’ll do my best to avoid the frustration part and immediately switch to anticipate the extra knowledge or expertise I will be gaining by solving the problem. That’s right, problem solved! 

No comments: