Saturday, September 24, 2022

Not easy to draw blood from me

When it comes to drawing blood out of me, I behave like a turnip. Yesterday was my annual check up and it was no different when I was asked to submit to the unavoidable blood test. 

There, the phlebotomist (the name of the nurse in charge of that job) always ends up sticking me more than once, four times isn’t unusual and 2 or 3 persons can be called to show their know-how on me for a miserable blood draw. No wonder, I’ve long learned that I’m a "difficult stick." 

Apparently this can happen for a number of reasons, including small or deep veins, rolling veins, dehydration, collapsing veins, constricted vessels, and I’ve kept the most likely cause for last, the inexperience, ineptitude or even lack of luck on the part of the drawing technician. 

 Well, I’ve seen them all and I always give them a fair warning that I’m an “extremely difficult stick”. 

I’ve only been impressed a couple of time but for the rest I believe that healthcare workers are poorly trained, don’t think enough before they poke their patients, don’t do the procedure nearly often enough and, yes, some very special ones must attract bad luck! 

As for me, I’ve done nothing wrong to deserve a death by one thousand pricks!

No comments: