Wednesday, October 19, 2022

How patriotic am I?

During my life, travel has played an important in opening my eyes on the fact that we, humans, are all sharing a wonderful blue planet. I’ve never had the privilege to got to space, but from an airplane window, I’ve never seen any border, and except for the obvious division between land and sea, everything else was beautifully seamless. 

As I moved to other places, I discovered the universality of problems, struggles and beauty in all of them, and in spite of differences in culture, languages and races, we were all sharing the same planet and issues dividing us were small, and often totally unjustified, compared to the universality of points that we had in common and that were uniting us. 

We just needed to solve an ocean of problems mostly created by us, humans. Gradually, I felt less French, I blended more with my culture of proximity, and discovered that just like many animals, we were egoistically territorial and blindsided by the few elements that divide us so well. All of that is why I do not particularly feel patriotic.

The planet is my nation, and we better share it fairly with all people and other species while we try to heal it and restore it to its original conditions (good luck with that!). Patriotism, just like sectarianism, is passé, borders are arbitrary and artificial, and it’s time to accept a flow of populations as a way to equalize living conditions between brothers and sisters of the human race. 

In my view, and more than ever, globalization is here to stay as it constitutes the glue that will eventually diminish and extinguish terrible conflicts like wars, and if humanity can survive the damage it has inflicted on Mother Earth, a global governance is what we should all be aiming for...

No comments: