Sunday, October 23, 2022

Some very expensive wheels

As snow was in the weekend forecast, this past Friday I went to buy a set of tires to properly handle winter conditions. 

Unlike in several European countries, snow tires aren’t mandatory in the US, but after driving for 45 winters in America with “All Seasons”, I have finally decided that it was time for me to get more serious about my winter traction and purchase the real things. 

When I went to the store and asked for a set of Michelin CrossClimate2, I learned that it was back-ordered all the way to next spring, so I had to get myself a real set of Michelin X-Ice Snow, plus the wheels to go. When all was said and done, and after adding the required valve sensors, the total I owed was simply astounding! 

I paid for tires that I won’t have for another two weeks, because the ones I needed are being shipped from North Carolina, where they’re made, while I might get the rims and sensors before that. It seems to me that just five years ago, with my previous car, the same transaction might have cost me less than half that amount, so I’m asking myself the question, why does it now costs twice as much? 

Supply-chain factor is the most obvious and cited reason, just like for certain home appliances or building materials. Then there are new technologies, like electric cars that are heavier and require much special tires and stronger wheels. 

Then manufacturers will mention that their new tires are more durable, hold the road better and adapt to more weather conditions, which frankly is harder to believe. 

Try to get a set of cheap wheels? You won’t find them as they might void the car manufacturer’s warranty, so you’ll need the fancy ones. In the end, my sense tells me that we are all taken for a good ride by Michelin, Continental and the rest of the wheel manufacturers and I think I’m right. 

Where I’m dead wrong though is that I shouldn’t wait the end of October for shopping for winter tires. While this wouldn’t change much in what I have to pay, it would make a world of difference as far as availability is concerned!

No comments: