Saturday, October 22, 2022

On the foothills of Nirvana?

Many of us, in different ways and for a variety of reasons seem attracted by Nirvana and proceed along its path, not quite knowing where they’re going to or what they’re going to get once there.

I suspect there’s a search for Nirvana in each one of us. But first, what is Nirvana, Moksha or whatever you want to call that state? Its definition seems to still be the extinction of desire, hatred, and ignorance and, ultimately, of suffering and rebirth. 

Literally, it means “blowing out” or “becoming extinguished,” as when a flame is blown out or a fire burns out. Sounds good to me. I’d like to think I’m embarked on that quest. 

Where am I now on its path? Somewhere on the foothills where I can see but still feel far from the top, I think, but the good news is that I’ve got good traction and I may not have to be reincarnated into a monkey or a rattlesnake...

No comments: