Sunday, October 2, 2022

Very, very last turns at Mt. Buller

This grainy and blurry photograph that I took on the dwindling Australian snow, shows Gérard Bouvier, Roland Raphoz, Nicolas Bauer and Philippe Couttaz basking in the late September sun (was it the 20th?) and not worried about what kind of reality would fall upon our respective heads 50 years later. 

We didn’t know either whether or not we’d ever return to Australia. We had no clue how we’d make a living, where we’d end up living and all the things we’d be learning along the way and the experiences we’d end up having. 

There’s a lot of truth in the fact that ignorance is bliss! I would end up my stay by traveling with Gerard via Hong-Kong to Japan, and then return home via the then Soviet Union… 

I’m sure Roland made the trip between France and Australia many time as he married an Aussie, but for me, I’d have to wait till 1994 to return to Kangaroo land! While I have lost track of Roland after seeing in France around 1977 and talking to him some 10 years ago, I’ve never ever seen Nicolas Bauer again. 

Nicolas, where are you hiding?

No comments: