Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Why does Consumer Reports hates Teslas?

I just got the last Consumer Reports (CR) magazine to which we’ve been loyal subscribers for the past 40 years or even more. I looked at the new offering for 2023 and found – once again – Tesla was at, or near the bottom of its ranking, mostly on the account of lack of reliability. 

Conversely, its owners satisfaction is better than average, so something doesn’t seem to add up there. After the Twitter incidents, I no longer like Elon Musk, but I have to admit that I admire what Tesla and SpaceX are doing. 

I’ve owned and driven a Tesla model Y for almost nine month now, including in one of the harshest winter we’ve experienced in recent year and had no problem whatsoever and I still love my car. 

CR doesn’t like the minimalist display that presents a significant learning curve, but do what is needed and more, plus gets updated every now and then. In fact just like a smart phone or tablet it takes a bit of getting used to, but it seems obvious that CR testers are above that kind of effort! 

Finally, for those who don't like the screen there is the voice command option which covers almost all the controls on the screen and works perfectly well. Who needs thousands of dials, switches and indicators crammed into a small car cockpit? 

What I don’t like is that somehow, its aerodynamics make its white body dirty, very fast. Do I need to add that car never went for service or repairs of any kinds during that time period, except for fixing a flat tire I got the very day I bought the car? 

I think, if anything, it’s CR that has a bad case of reliability problem in the way they test their cars!

No comments: