Sunday, July 16, 2023

Back home to France, in minutes!

Yesterday, I enjoyed watching the 14th stage of the Tour de France, that happened to end up in my home valley, nestled in the French Alps, right next to the Swiss border. 

This was the 22nd time Morzine was chosen as stage city for this prestigious cycling competition. The battle between the two contenders for that big event was nothing short of epic and kept me on the edge of my seat. 

Since I had not been in Morzine since 2019, I was also equally impressed, if not shocked, by the enormous surge in construction that has been filling the few available open spaces since that time.

What used to be a bucolic community has now become wall-to-wall concrete and asphalt. According to my friends, construction isn’t going to stop anytime soon as money remains the name of the game.

This makes me profoundly sad, yet at the same time, I’m happy that Park City has good zoning laws in place and an aggressive open space purchasing policy to keep unbridled growth at bay!

No comments: