Friday, July 7, 2023

How hard is it to be patriotic ?

As a dual citizen of France and the United States, I found it hard for me to be patriotic and particularly to lean more towards one of these two countries. This comes at a seasonal time when both countries are celebrating their National Holidays. 

Of course, I’m concerned by what happens in my place of residence, but it’s become more circumstantial than deliberately chosen. Our small extended family lives here, so I’m attached to that place for that reason and because I appreciate my geographic situation.

Yet, I’d say that first and foremost, I feel more like a global citizen than French or American. It’s absolutely true that my background, my varied professional experience and my extensive international travel have contributed to blur the tribal borders that are so important in form a visceral belonging to one specific camp. 

Another reason is my lack of respect for politicians that use and abuse the notion of patriotism for polarizing the population into society’s well defined and opposite corners, to better leverage for personal gains. 

Then, there’s the ocean of hypocrisy that floods the American culture, from American exceptionalism to God’s favorite country, no mention stolen land and lives from native or massive kidnapping of African for slave labor, and on the other side of the Ocean, a similar acceptance of social injustice and a de facto ignorance of the ill-effects of colonialism. 

Adding a global perspective to that picture totally cancels the rationale for patriotism. Seen from space, there are no visible frontier on earth. We all share a sick planet and this alone should be enough to deal a deadly blow to patriotism. 

So, wherever you may be domiciled, have a very happy… Earth Day!

No comments: