Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Chat-GPT and Bing’s limitations

After everything we’ve heard so far about Artificial Intelligence (AI), we could think that it’s almost solving any problems already and that resolving hard dilemmas will be just a matter of dialing up AI programs like Bing or ChatGPT to get an all-encompassing answer.

While I use AI in an attempt to address my research needs, I used it four day ago to get a response for a rather tricky question. I formulated my demand very carefully and stated it as precisely and with as many details as I could muster. I ran it on both popular tools and received an answer that I thought was quite comprehensive, satisfactory (on the spur of the moment) and filled with what I thought was good common sense. 

I must say that ChatGPT’s answer was a bit better than Bing’s, and I left it at that. In the ensuing days, I reconsidered the answer, turned it around and around in my mind and a couple of days later, realized the existence of a much better and satisfactory solution to my question that both AI platforms weren’t able to seize. 

In retrospect they could barely consolidate the obvious answer to the sum of the parameters that were fed to them, and saw them from a static viewpoint. Changing that viewpoint, a proven creative technique, significantly improved and turned the answer on its head, something both AI engines were woefully incapable to perform. 

Will AI current abilities evolve in the future? Hopefully, with time, technologies have always improved by leaps and bounds, but for the moment, good old creativity, mental hints, inspiration, intuition and other mysterious forces are still beating AI!

No comments: