Thursday, September 7, 2023

Harvesting alpine current

When I was a kid, berry harvesting was part of my way of life, in particular the month of September. In the Alpine pastures where I grew up it was mostly wild blueberries and raspberries. 

Not so in Park City where the high-desert climate is far too dry for large crops of berries to materialize. I’ve spotted some raspberries at the top of the Tombstone chairlift at Canyons, and have seen quite a bit of wild gooseberries here and there, at around 8,000 to 9,000 feet high. 

More recently I had discovered a bush of Alpine currant near my front door that tasted delicious, but the other day we spotted much more near the neighborhood fire station and three days ago my wife and I returned to pick some up. 

Well, it took us a lot of time to fill up a small container since the orange colored fruits are between 3 and 4mm in diameter. Still, we brought them at home and since we didn’t have enough for my wife to bake a pie with them, we simply ate them with Greek yogurt. 

It was okay but not as delectable as I had imagined!

No comments: