Friday, December 22, 2023

Bye quantity, hello quality!

I have always been competitive and many years into my retirement, I still am, trying to break records, outdo myself and others of course. Now, I am beginning to measure that folly. In other words, what can I do to make the switch from a "quantity lifestyle" to a "quality" one? 

This has been typical of my ski life of course, but certainly applies to countless other areas. I certainly realize that transitioning from a "quantity lifestyle" to a "quality lifestyle" involves a shift in focus from external measures, such as records and comparisons with others, into something that is more emotional instead of just adrenaline-driven. 

It should be more about internal fulfillment and a deeper appreciation for the experiences and the relationships that populate my life. In many ways, I’m coming to this because of my skiing addiction and my desire to now switch from “quantity” into “quality” for that particular hobby of mine. Yet, nothing prevents me from extending that switch to all areas of my life, excluding of course – just kidding – my personal income!

To achieve that big goal, I may have to redefine my values by reflecting on what truly matters to me. Then I need to reset some important goals so they bring me personal satisfaction and fulfillment and are more focused on personal growth, relationships, and experiences. 

Sure, I’ll continue to pursue activities and hobbies that bring you joy, fulfillment and that align with my values. When success happens, I’ll celebrate my small victories and positive moments and will avoid harsh self-criticism. If given an opportunity, I’ll consider doing things well beyond external recognition, such as personal growth, contentment, and well-being. 

While I’ll keep in mind that shifting from quantity to quality is a gradual process, I will work towards my objectives, but never at the expense of my overall well-being and happiness. I guess I now have a serious New Year resolution right there!

No comments: