Saturday, December 30, 2023

Tesla and Citroën 2cv…

The Citroën 2cv, was the first car I ever owned. I still have fond memories about that automobile and not just about it’s funky look and usability, but also about the way it had to be driven. 

Its curb weight was around 1,100 lbs (500 kg) and its 425 cc twin-flat engine developed an anemic 18 horsepower, so one had to be driving it with a strong sense of momentum and a keen awareness of ups and downs. My Tesla in contrast weighs 4,555 lbs (2 000 kg), but just like me 2cv tells me how much I suck on the battery when I climb a hill, or how much it recharges on the way down.

With both cars, I’ve paid strong attention to the ups and downs of roadways and how to save as much energy as possible regardless of where it comes from, sun or fossil fuels. I don’t speed for the sake of speeding, only to enter a freeway, pass a slow car, a wobbling double-tandem truck or a slow Porsche stuck in the fast lane, but by and large, I don’t drive faster with that car, in fact, quite the opposite. 

This said, both cars were innovative in their time: The Citroën 2CV, introduced in the 1940s, was remarkable for its simplicity, practical utility and affordability. Tesla, on the other hand, has been a paragon of innovation in electric vehicle technology for its electric power-trains, advanced software, and features like Autopilot. 

Culturally, the Citroën 2CV is an iconic symbol of French automotive history, while Tesla became a trailblazer in the modern electric vehicle movement. From a design standpoint, the 2CV had a unique, unconventional appearance and quirky features, while Teslas have been known for their sleek and minimalist designs. 

This said, these comparisons are somewhat abstract, as the two cars belong to different automotive eras and serve different purposes, but at least you can now understand while I like to bring them together.

No comments: