Saturday, December 9, 2023

New ski season, Day 3

It’s hard to find any snow season good enough after the epic one we had last year, my very best in the 39 years I’ve lived in Park City, so on Wednesday it was just Day 3 for me.

I still feel that I ski well and don’t see much a difference in my skiing with April 1974 when I as a 25 years old, I concluded my ski instructing career. This season is showing a rocky start with mercurial weather and scarily high temperatures that are insufficient for making all the snow needed nowadays to last into spring. 

This is a bad omen and a preview of our ski future if we consider the chart below, attributed to Exxon and was created in the early 1980s, possibly 1981. It was presented to Exxon's management in 1982. Exxon’s in-house scientists, who were some of the first to accurately predict the warming effect of greenhouse gases. 

The chart shows that Exxon was aware of the risks of climate change decades ago, but the company continued to invest in fossil fuels and lobby against climate action. 

The chart was first revealed to the public in 2015, when it was published in the InsideClimate News investigation "Exxon: The Road Not Taken." 

The investigation found that Exxon had known about the risks of climate change since the 1970s, but had publicly denied the science and funded climate denial groups. 

This chart that temperature are well on their way to increase exponentially, first shortening ski seasons as we know them and sooner thereafter relegating to the history of winter sports...

 

No comments: