Saturday, December 16, 2023

Lasting on skis…

Skiing has always had multiple appeals to me that have changed over the years. I began with jumping followed by a hockey turn 69 years ago, then a downhill course through the trees ending on a meadow. It then continued with learning to ski better as I worked as a liftie. 

When I could ski parallel, I trained in slalom on a slope behind my parent’s house where the course was set with twigs and I climbed back up by side-stepping. I eventually became a ski instructor to transmit my knowledge to small kids, then ranked beginners and eventually all kinds of skiers. 

I went through some long periods when I was almost totally depraved from skiing and as soon as I returned to the mountains, I caught up with that lost time with a vengeance. 

During all these years - until very recently in fact - I kept on learning and improving myself. For the last 2 or 3 years, I might have plateaued and now the next, inevitable stage, will see my audacity, speed, balance and skills go down, but when?

This early season, as I’m almost over 75 years old, that upcoming change has not quite manifested itself forcefully enough to make me pay attention to it...

No comments: