Monday, March 10, 2008

Air-conditioned ski jacket

Would you run your car air conditioning at full blast on a frigid winter morning? I wouldn't think so! Last week, we went skiing at Park City Mountain Resort with Bob and Barbara Moore, our friends from Charleston, South Carolina. That day, the skies were overcast and the weather was arctic-cold. I was literally freezing and felt like an ice cube the entire day. When we broke for lunch at the mountain top restaurant, never in my life have I so appreciated returning indoors. At some point after we resumed skiing I thought that I would have a seizure and die on the spot. The following day, Evelyne and I were enjoying the Deer Valley slopes; the sun had returned and while the daytime temperatures were still below the freezing point, it almost felt balmy. While stopping at one of the lodges, I suddenly realized that the zippered vents located under my jacket arms had been wide open for the past few days, including that horrible, ice-cold one; unbeknownst to me, these openings were blasting stinging cold air all around my torso. It’s the second time this incident happens to me and when it does, it's just awful because it’s impossible to understand what’s really happening. Perhaps, it’s the onset of old age that makes me forget, but someone should find a device that rings, whistles or somehow gets in your face so you can see the situation and do something about it before taking off.
I’ll tell you, the more complicated things get, the more they create problems; if we leave it unchecked, progress will kill us all!

No comments: