Monday, March 24, 2008

Is snow removal worth it?

When he lived at home, our son always felt that making the bed daily was a total waste of his time. Was he right? Fundamentally, I think so, since what he had to “do” every morning would end up “undone” at night. Could you say the same about brushing your teeth for instance? I don’t quite think so, since this activity could be classified as “cleaning or maintenance” and is quite justifiable. To me, snow removal in driveways is similar to bed-making. I know a couple of homeowners in our subdivision that didn’t remove all the snow in their driveway even though we’ve received so far some 197 inches of cumulative snowfall. Today, as spring has arrived and we’re nearing – hopefully! – the end of winter, these driveways are almost clear of snow, save for a few big bumps here and there. So the bottom line is that my addictive-compulsive snow removal habit has cost me 41 snow removal sessions at an average of 45 minutes each, not to count the cost of gasoline when I had to use the snowblower. All together, that’s almost 31 hour of work that I could have saved had I let my car roll over the snow and packed it thin and icy over the driveway. With "taxes, aggravation plus wear and tear," that’s at least $600 worth of work I won’t have anything to show for comes the 1st of May, so please tell me, what’s the point of clearing all that snow?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, hard to believe that I've made you that synical.
Look at it this way.... Upkeep prevented you from incurring a frivolous law suit when someone "slips" and hurts themselves on your non upkept driveway. Lawyer fees, out of court settlement, etc... and you have a good 100 years of snow maintenance cost.

Keep on shoveling!

Go 11 said...

That's a very good point, Thomas. How could I even forget about our litigious society...