Friday, March 28, 2008

The quest for difficulty…

There are two approaches to skiing: One is to look at it as a simple pastime, a great pleasure and a way to enjoy nature; another is to see it as a competitive pursuit, an avenue for improvement, a mean for measuring oneself. The latter definition is the most fitting for me, it's also the reason why I never cease to challenge myself while skiing and, by the same token, maintain a juvenile attitude and never gets bored with the sport. Ever since I returned to the mountains, in Park City, I’ve looked at my time skiing as some of my most precious moments and was determined to get the best out of every minute spent on the snow. I always was in search of the most challenging snow, the worst conditions and the most difficult terrain. I never hesitated to place myself in tricky situations, always on the edge, permanently ready to lose control and never really concerned about the way I looked. As I often say, “no need to ski for the gallery, you won’t find many on the slopes…” Without taking unreasonable risks, I’ve always “pushed the envelope”, making as few turns as possible, weaved myself into tight spots, improvising here and there and always risking a steady balance for the sake of reaching a little farther. That approach is totally in synch with my life philosophy. It has not brought me huge rewards, but has made me a much better skier; it’s also always kept me on the go, hungry for more and certainly very young at heart. When I’m on my skis, I’m always reverting to that little kid with a giant grin!

No comments: