Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A moment of bliss

Physical and mental work, athletic efforts, noise, stress, pain and fear are the backdrop of our daily lives. To counteract them, we try to sleep, relax, exercise, laugh and even meditate, and as we attempt to do that, we realize how hard it is to forget everything and to totally get - even for a short time - out of our chaotic daily lives. It is indeed hard to slow down and empty our mind. While meditation, when done right, is perhaps the best way, we can also practice sports we love as a mean of relaxation, like in my case running and skiing, but that never totally prevents worries, ideas and other thoughts to continuously pop up. Now, I have recently discovered a way to relax I had never experienced before, and this one has a lot to do with contemplation. We’ve all heard of these monks and nuns who seem to find bliss and nirvana through this practice. Well, I’m a step closer to understanding its full benefits after holding Finn - my new grandson - in my arms for close to one hour, thinking it was just ten minutes. All along, I was looking at that little baby and thinking about nothing. Just admiring him and losing myself into his face, his tiny movements, and his peaceful and tranquil demeanor. It was the closest I’ve ever felt from perfect happiness. Almost like being in love but without the pounding excitement; I had cut-off all links to the outside world as my entire self was fully absorbed in staring at this wonderful human being. This was a true moment of bliss.

No comments: