Thursday, March 20, 2008

Jean-Luc Descombes 1946-2008

Yesterday, my friend Mychel Blanc emailed me that Jean-Luc, a former school mate had just passed away. I called him up and he sounded very upset. Jean-Luc had suffered from lung cancer and Mychel had seen him regularly and just when he was about to visit him at the hospital he was told that his friend was “gone.” In talking with Mychel, I learned that at about 30, Jean-Luc took painting lessons and became an artist. His most recent work was in part inspired by Jackson Pollock. His struggles are now over and he’s rejoining the stardust we all came from. I had fond memories of him and remembered that he looked just like Mick Jagger. Every time I heard or saw the Rolling Stones, I couldn’t help but think of him. What’s a more fitting tribute than the the song “She’s a Rainbow” by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards to accompany Jean-Luc into his bright and colorful odyssey through the deep universe:

She comes in colors ev'rywhere;
She combs her hair
She's like a rainbow
Coming, colors in the air
Oh, everywhere
She comes in colors...

No comments: