Thursday, March 6, 2008

Moose on the loose

This past Wednesday, during our morning ran we were alerted by some neighbors that a couple of moose were roaming around in the neighborhood. Moose sighting are quite frequent in and around Park City, but it’s a bit rarer to see these huge animals right in the middle of a residential subdivision. The name “Moose” (Alces alces) is the North American name for that largest species in the deer family. They’re called Elk in Scandinavia and Russia, where their European habitat is located. On average, an adult moose stands 6 to 7 ft high at the shoulder. Males weigh up to over 1,100 pounds and females up to 800 pounds. Since I’ve been raised in Les Lindarets, an alpine village where goats were roaming free in the streets, I feel entitled to claiming some familiarity with these huge animals, but I should remain careful, especially when I’m facing a mother and her young, which was precisely the case. Evelyne usually tempers my enthusiasm and hold me back to a safe distance; If she hadn’t done that with some regularity ever since we’ve lived in Utah, I would have been trampled a few times already and crushed into "moose au chocolat"…

No comments: