Thursday, March 27, 2008

Welcome to my playground!

It took me years to fully appreciate Jupiter's ski potential; this is where Park City’s highest ski lift is located. "Jupiter" is actually a big cirque anchored at Jupiter Peak (9,998 feet high) and is served with an old, rickety, two-seat Yan chair. The vertical is only 1,025 feet, but it gives access to an incredible array of possibilities and offers a gorgeous mountain setting with steep bowls, couloirs and treed runs everywhere where nothing is ever groomed. There are between 15 and 25 different areas that could be called “runs” and multiple hiking options. Except for weekend or holidays following a major powder “dump,” there’s almost nobody skiing Jupiter. It’s quiet, pristine and a perfect setting to empty one’s mind and focus on just skiing. I generally ski each run non-stop; each time I try to improvise, fine-tune my lines and the most I’ve ever done there in a day were twenty-four runs (it takes a little more than 10 minutes to do one lap.) I love sushi and to me, Jupiter is like a beautiful and delectable sushi platter where all the runs are like a row of tantalizing pieces. I can’t ever seem to choose one in particular and to make matter worst, I always try to keep the best one for last.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A little known fact is that you can also get to Jupiter via Big Cottonwood canyon by way of Guardsman's pass. My friends and I used to cruise up there and catch the last bastion's of snow in early summer after the resort had closed. Since the Jupiter lift comes up the shady side of the mountain you can find pockets of snow long after most of the rest of the mountain shows dirt.