Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I like this idea!

A few days ago a friend passed along to me a wonderful suggestion aimed at making the US Congress “eats its own cooking.” This could be called the Congressional Reform Act of 2012 and we should not just pass it on 20 of our friends, as my buddy suggested, but I thought also share it with our own Senators and Representative.

In doing so, I will ask the three of them to let me know if they agree with the measures and are ready to support them. I will not accept any “canned” and off-subject answers as our politicians seem to be only able to give us, but will insist until I receive a yes or no answer. In other words, a pledge to do what they say. I suggest we all do the same and perhaps will be see the beginning of some change in Washington, DC!

Dear Senator, Congressman,

I am proposing the following Congressional Reform Act of 2012.
Please read the following very carefully and let me know if you agree or not with its provision. A simple “Yes” or “No” answer will be sufficient. Please, do not try to beat around the bush and send me a “canned” answer.

1. No Tenure / No Pension.
A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.
All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women. Congress made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

Dear Senator, Congressman, do you agree or not with the above?

I am awaiting your response. Remember, just answer yes or no. You may of course add your reasons for answering by the positive or the negative. Thank you.

No comments: